Our Wonderful Followers who come back again and again to read about us...

Monday, December 11, 2017

Bathroom Facelift - Privacy Lace Applique to Windows

Our bathroom facelift is going quite well. It is our Christmas present to each other and we will probably be done by the end of the week.  Today Steve took care of grinding off any lumps of glue after removing the plastic tiles. He used a power oscillating tool with the flat knife edge.



While he did that, I was busy down in the basement doing the final coats on the beadboards and trim. I think it is going quite well.  I just finished the polyurethane this evening after double and triple checking that the stain colors are right.



I think it takes a special knack to get just the right colors when trying to match the patina of the old wood.  Being 103 years old, it has the golden undertones from the naturally aging pine, which is tough to match.  Then the reddish orange of the stain plus the darkened areas of brown over the years due to aging varnish.  I think I got it pretty danged close!

 (here is an original door in our kitchen with the same coloring) 


~~~~~~~~~~
While I am waiting for the poly to dry, I spent the rest of the day working on a few other projects.  Here is the old medicine cabinet that I bought off the Facebook Marketplace for $10. A lady had already sanded it down and then changed her mind on finishing it.  She also broke the mirror.  No problem, our son works for a glass company and ordered a new beveled mirror for me! Thanks, Dan!



I touched up the sanding a bit more, removed the latch and got it ready to stain. I laid a piece of tin foil between the inside box and the front face of the cabinet.  Once the outside stain and poly are done, then I can remove the tin foil and give the inside a fresh coat of white paint.



~~~~~~~~~~~~

While that was drying, I popped a pot roast in the electric pressure cooker, so supper would be done in time when Steve got home, and I could keep playing with my next project! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~


I saw this technique a while back on Facebook and saved the link: 

http://www.littlethings.com/lace-window-treatment/


I did this technique on the french doors between our dining room and my Loom Room. Now that I know how well it works, I am going to do it to our window in the upstairs bathroom.  Here is a blog post of when I did those: 


Adding Lace Applique to French Doors



By using the simple cornstarch and water solution in the instructions shared above, I will adhere the lace to each section of glass.  If I tire of it or do not like the outcome, I can just wash it off with warm water to remove it. 


I found some lace in a thrift shop, from a set of curtain valances.  I wanted something with a bit of pattern to it, not just flowers willy nilly all over. I was happy with these, and it cost me a whole $1.00 !




I removed the stitching of the rod pocket so I could use that part of the lace as well. I needed 2 pieces each 22 1/2 inches by 13 5/8 inches. I carefully cut 2 pieces of the lace, lining up the motifs so each window pane is same.  I starched each one to stiffen them up to make them easier to work with.



 Now it was time to mix up the recipe.. this is amazing!  I gathered my supplies:



Take 4 tablespoons of water and 4 tablespoons of powdered corn starch... (I suggest a large 4 cup pyrex mixing cup) ... mix them up until dissolved and it is a watery liquid similar to milk.  Okayyyyyy



Now, in a separate measuring cup, heat up 1 and a half cups of water until boiling!   I used the microwave about 4 minutes.  Pour the boiling water into the milky blend and stir stir stir!  It instantly makes a thick gel!  Like soft pudding!   Amazing!!!



That is enough to do two 13x23 window panes.


In the instructions on that Facebook link above, she used a bristle brush to apply the gelatinous solution to the glass. Sometimes those type of brushes lose bristles. Instead, I chose foam brushes.  I covered the flooring and windowsill underneath with a thick towel to catch drips, and I had a roll of papertowels at the standby in case I needed them.  


Next I started to brush on the gel----



Wow! This was really easy! 


It was not too messy and I worked one pane of glass at a time.



Start the lace carefully at the corner and spread the lace upwards and across.




I would say to be sure your lace is cut to the exact size, because once it is on the glass, you really can not trim it at all.

I found that once I set the lace flat on the window, I could easily press it into place on the thick gel. I could hold it in place on the edge with my fingernail while brushing gently sideways with more of the gel on the top of lace.  The gel is warm, so you have to work kinda fast to keep it thin enough to brush over the lace. It thickens as it cools.





Easy clean up and I would suggest that you use a paper towel to swab all the leftover concoction into the garbage can, as opposed to rinsing it down the sink. It may clog your drain as it cools down and thickens.



Then just toss the foam brushes away.

It's hard to take a pic in the daylight
because the camera keeps adjusting to the light,
and doesn't focus on the lace pattern.
My eye sees it, but the camera doesn't.



Now I stood back to admire my work:


As it dries, it gets more translucent.

I added some taters and carrots to the pressure cooker and set it for another 15 minutes. Supper was done and I was able to work on projects all afternoon.  I LOVE my electric pressure cooker. My friend Linda just bought one and now my friend Rosie is going to get one, once she decides how big or small she needs. 

I went back upstairs after supper to see about taking pics of the lace covered window at night. Much nicer!  It shows the detail better.  




On our house, we have outside storm windows, and then the old lovely wooden windows and frames, and we also added some inside storm windows that slide into place for the winter, and come off and store in the closet for summer.  That is what the solid pane of glass is. This helps with the heat bill, and is a compromise because Steve wants to rip out all the old windows and put in new ones!!! ACKKKK NO!



Speaking of the old wooden windows and frames...  Over the 103 years, there was a lot of different curtain and window shade hardware attached to the woodwork.  I took the brackets off now that we have the lace on the glass for privacy. My job tomorrow will be to carefully fill the holes with a matching wood putty, and clean up the surface, and touch up with some stain and poly. Since I already have it mixed to the right color, it should blend in well. I hope. 



As for my new window covering????

  I love it!!!

Added P.S. ... today is the Third Anniversary of Binney's "Gotcha Day" !!!  The day we adopted her through the combined efforts of the Michigan and Wisconsin Sheltie Rescue groups.  





Three years ago today, this little girl found her *furever* home with us! Thank you to Michigan Sheltie Rescue, Robin Matthews and Carol Sorweide for getting her healthy from the skin and bones heartworm ridden dog she was at the time of the raid on the hoarder. 



Then thanks to Virginia Halverson for transporting her here and Lisa Martin with the Wisconsin Sheltie Rescue for trusting us to take care of her. Finney and Binney bonded instantly and are inseparable best buddies now~  

She seems so happy to have a house of her own, windows to look out of (they were shut into closets and boarded up rooms)  and fresh air, plenty of food, sunshine and all of the things a good little doggie deserves! 



"YOU'VE COME A LONG WAY BABY!" Sassy feisty little girl Binney today. When we got her, she was a scared little timid thing huddled in the corner, her "safe spot". She didn't know about toys or walks or having fun fun fun!


Happy Gotcha Day Anniversary, Binney,
Here is to many many more!!



2 comments:

  1. I like the window treatments and I really like the inside storm window. I might have to look into those as my windows are awful.
    Happy Gotsha Day, a lot of love and good care has sure transformed her into a real beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...Happy Anniversary to Binny! What a sweet thing you did, saving her. We have a rescue as well
    but not from the horror your sweet Binny endured.
    Merry Christmas!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! I moderate all comments so it may take a little while for your comment to appear.